The Suwannee River Water Management District (District) adopted its final budget and work plan at its second public hearing on Sept. 22. The Fiscal Year 2009-10 Budget, set at $56 million, reflects a 20 percent decrease over last year’s budget. The ad valorem millage rate, which was set at 0.4399 mills, is 6 percent less than the rollback rate of 0.4654.
This marks the 20th consecutive year the District has not raised the tax rate.
Under a 0.4399 rate — 43.99 cents for every $1,000 of assessed property value — the owner of a home assessed at $100,000, claiming $50,000 homestead exemption, would pay $22 in property taxes to the District.
Property taxes paid to the District fund numerous services to the public. This year’s budget and work plan includes the following:
• The Suwannee River Partnership – the program provides cost-share funding to local farmers for implementing best management practices to help protect water resources.
• The Ichetucknee Partnership (TIP) – the partnership works with farmers and land owners to protect the river and springs in the Ichetucknee Springshed.
• The RiskMAP Program – the project involves updating digital flood maps and establishing flood elevations. It will provide the public better access and data to view which properties are located in a flood zone.
• Land acquisition and management – the program allows the District to purchase property for the purpose of flood control, water quality protection and natural resource conservation. Lands are also open to the public for recreational use.
• Hydrologic, groundwater and surface water monitoring – the network allows the District to monitor water levels and quality and to track rainfall and flooding conditions. The figures are available to the public through the District’s website.
• Water Supply Assessment – the initiative will allow the District to assess water availability in order to develop a water supply plan for the Upper Santa Fe River Basin.
A copy of the District’s Fiscal Year 2009-10 Budget and Work Plan is posted on this website. From the home page, click on Administration and then on Business & Financial.